Monday, April 12

eXode - Call of Gaea on iTunes!


One of my favorite sound designers, eXode, now has his debut album Call of Gaea, available on iTunes! As some of you may remember, Resonant Filter interviewed eXode, aka Daniel Olsson, back in November of last year. I referred to "Call of Gaea" as my favorite work of his available on virb, particularly the song "Transcending the Old World" which I described as starting "off with what sounds like children playing only to give way to a synthesizer line that would make Harold Faltermeyer (composer of "Axel F theme") jealous.." Another question from the interview concerning "Call of Gaea" was:

- Your songs make great use of the spatial field, are you mastering your songs yourself and is this done is Reason, Record, or another software?

Everything was done in Reason, I have however started to move these songs over to Record because I prefer the mixing abilities provided. No other software (or hardware) is involved in the mixing/mastering. I must mention that I haven't really done any real mastering on my tracks. I think that a key thing with music is that you should try and find sounds that fit the bill right away instead of having instruments that struggle in the same spectrum. You can also play around with EQ and Pan to carve out the right places for your instruments, I've found that I do this increasingly often and I guess this is why my productions get better too. In the end I trust me ears!

Pick up eXode's Call of Gaea now on iTunes! You can preview this and other great work from Daniel at his page on virb.com.

No comments: