Monday, July 13

DS-10 to the rescue!



About two weeks ago my Macbook Pro's screen started glitching out like an old television set losing it's reception on a stormy night. Needless to say I was distressed and contacted Apple Care, who promptly sent me out a box and shipping label, so I could mail my laptop to Memphis to get fixed. Now my MBP is the center of my life... I have no television, no ipod and I'm not the most sociable guy (which is a nice way of saying I'm a loser). So while my laptop was getting fixed I remembered that I had recently picked up the DS-10 for my Nintendo DS Lite. If you're not familiar with the DS-10 it's a recreation of the analog MS-10 monophonic synthesizer with a 16 track sequencer for the Nintendo DS. With my computer gone, it gave me ample time to play with the DS-10 and man is it fun! I really like the drum sounds that can be made with it as well as sound fx. Only real gripe is that I wish the sequencer was at least 32 steps long. Luckily the Pattern window has a lot of steps so there's a work around. Anyhow, I spent the majority of the weekend playing with it and came up with some pretty good sounds that I really wanted to try out in Reason. So as soon as I got my computer back I fired up Propellerhead's record and made wav files of my favorite drum and glitch sounds from the DS-10. I haven't gotten to good at editing with record yet, so I used Audacity to cut the files down to size and now they are available if you are so inclined:


DS-10 Beat L.72.zip

No comments: